- » Betty Friedan would vote for Bernie: Gloria Steinem and other feminists need to hear this
- » Russian Sanctions Highlight Role of Western Enablers
- » At the End, Betty Friedan Broadened Her Vision
- » New York Ethics: It takes a Fed
- » Romney on Board: Marriott accused of cheating clients on his watch
- » How the Food Industry Eats Your Kid’s Lunch
- » School administrators’ association censors conference exhibit critical of corporation
- » Shells, Shams and Corporate Scams
- » A Lingering Problem for IDT — CEO admits company official met with Aristide on contract
- » The Wall Street ICEcapade
- » IDT’s Voodoo Economics: Inside Justice Dept’s probe of telecom bribes in Haiti
- » The ICE Age — big banks set up their own credit default swaps exchange
- » CORRUPTION: U.S. banks abetting corrupt regimes, probe finds
- » Former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, GOP Candidate for NJ Governor, gets $ from IDT, NJ telcom investigated by Justice Dept for bribing Haitian officials
- » Q&A: Tax Havens, Bank Secrecy, and Tricks
- » Exclusive: Florida banking agency helped Stanford set up unregulated office to sell his phony CDs
- » OECD Tax Havens Deal Falls Short, Critics Say
- » IRS on the Track of Tax-Cheating “John Does”
- » Tax Havens in Spotlight at G20 Meet
- » The Real AIG Scandal: How the Game is Rigged at Wall Street’s Casino
- » Cafeteria Kickbacks
- » Exclusive: How One Fund’s Profits Ended Up in the Caymans
- » Geithner – Treasury Nominee Failed to Halt Bond Scam
- » Swiss bank’s crafty strategy shows how difficult it is to clamp down on tax havens
The American Interest, May 12, 2016
Solving the offshore money-laundering and tax evasion system is easy, but the Obama Administration’s proposal isn’t the way to do it.
Stung by the Panama Papers revelations of worldwide tax evasion by the rich and powerful, President Obama has seized the moment to propose a solution guaranteed to gather headlines—and then fail. But if he wanted to, he could, through the Treasury Department, end the system of offshore tax havens with a stroke of the pen.
First, let’s look at the solution and, then, at what’s wrong with the President’s proposal.
The Obama proposal acknowledges the threat offshoring poses to our national security. Treasury estimates that $300 billion in illicit proceeds are generated annually in the United States due to financial crimes. But it then essentially ignores the powerful weapon it can wield against that threat.
No comment / Read More »
Exclusive: Yanis Varoufakis reveals how European powers’ Troika abolished Greek anti-tax evasion unit »
April 26, 2016 - A drumbeat of the Troika that ended Greek sovereignty last year was that the government wasn’t collecting taxes. The Troika was the European Commission (EC), the International Monetary Fund, and the...No comment / Read More »
April 7, 2016 - Secretary of Commerce Penny Pritzker appeared at the Council on Foreign Relations a few days ago and treated the members to misinformation about the proposed Trans Pacific Partnership, which is being...2 comments / Read More »
Feb 4, 2016 - Art as politics reaches new intensities in the Whitney Museum’s disturbing and powerful new exhibit of film maker Laura Poitras’ selection of videos and documents to define the U.S. government’s threats...2 comments / Read More »
Feb 2, 2016 - At the Council on Foreign Relations yesterday, I pointed out to Stanley Fischer, Vice Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve, that the current low unemployment rate he cited in...1 comment / Read More »
Sept 21, 2015 - Before the refugee crisis exploded in September, there were already people seeking help in Germany. On August 19th, I visited a reception center in Berlin, taken there by Karsten Voigt, who...
Salon, Feb 24, 2016 - Betty Friedan would vote for Bernie Sanders. I say that having known Betty near the start of the women’s movement in the late ‘60s and at the end of...No comment / Read More »
The secret deals of "corruption fighter" William Browder, an offshore profit-launderer
100Reporters, May 21, 2014 - As U.S and European governments impose sanctions on bankers, businessmen and officials close to Vladimir Putin to pressure him...5 comments / Read More »
UPI (Womens eNews), March 29, 2013 - Betty Friedan's parting words: "We didn't challenge the system enough." She helped start the women's revolution but came to realize--along with many of us--that the problem everyone faced...1 comment / Read More »
100Reporters, March 19, 2012 - One could be forgiven for thinking that the New York State Legislature was a criminal enterprise. It had its mafioso style assemblyman, Democrat Tony Seminerio, telling a prospective “client” that...