- » At the End, Betty Friedan Broadened Her Vision
- » New York Ethics: It takes a Fed
- » Romney on Board: Marriott accused of cheating clients on his watch
- » How the Food Industry Eats Your Kid’s Lunch
- » School administrators’ association censors conference exhibit critical of corporation
- » Shells, Shams and Corporate Scams
- » A Lingering Problem for IDT — CEO admits company official met with Aristide on contract
- » The Wall Street ICEcapade
- » IDT’s Voodoo Economics: Inside Justice Dept’s probe of telecom bribes in Haiti
- » The ICE Age — big banks set up their own credit default swaps exchange
- » CORRUPTION: U.S. banks abetting corrupt regimes, probe finds
- » Former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie, GOP Candidate for NJ Governor, gets $ from IDT, NJ telcom investigated by Justice Dept for bribing Haitian officials
- » Q&A: Tax Havens, Bank Secrecy, and Tricks
- » Exclusive: Florida banking agency helped Stanford set up unregulated office to sell his phony CDs
- » OECD Tax Havens Deal Falls Short, Critics Say
- » IRS on the Track of Tax-Cheating “John Does”
- » Tax Havens in Spotlight at G20 Meet
- » The Real AIG Scandal: How the Game is Rigged at Wall Street’s Casino
- » Cafeteria Kickbacks
- » Exclusive: How One Fund’s Profits Ended Up in the Caymans
- » Geithner – Treasury Nominee Failed to Halt Bond Scam
- » Swiss bank’s crafty strategy shows how difficult it is to clamp down on tax havens
- » Crisis Pits Vatican Against Offshore Bankers
- » AIG’s Past Could Return to Haunt
The secret deals of “corruption fighter” William Browder: an offshore profit-launderer
100Reporters, May 21, 2014
As U.S and European governments impose sanctions on bankers, businessmen and officials close to Vladimir Putin to pressure him over Crimea, the asset freezes will lead investigators not to the Kremlin alone, but to the western-built offshore system that has helped the Russian leader and friends loot their country and consolidate power.
A case – details not public before – shows how westerners – lawyers, accountants, bankers, investors—used the offshore system to facilitate and benefit from Russian corruption.
It involves William Browder (opposite), self-described anti-corruption fighter, known in Washington for winning passage of 2012 “Magnitsky Act,” which presaged current law by blocking visas, freezing assets of Russians accused of rights violations and corruption.
Browder and fellow investors stole funds diverted via an Isle of Man shell from a Russian company they controlled.
3 comments / Read More »
March 16, 2015 - You don’t expect the CIA director to give away the crown jewels, but you do expect him to take seriously a question about the offshore bank and corporate secrecy system. That...1 comment / Read More »
Jan 29, 2015 - Even out of office, U.S. officials evade crucial questions about U.S. policy. Here is Janet Napolitano, former head of the U.S. Dept of Homeland Security, 2009-13, also former Gov. of Arizona,...2 comments / Read More »
Jan 15, 2015 - Anne Applebaum wrote an article about Putin's Russia in the Dec. 18, 2014 issue of the New York Review of Books that was filled with distortions. When I saw NYRB editor...2 comments / Read More »
Oct 6, 2014 - Mikhail Khodorkovsky is “doing” the U.S. He appeared on big-time celebrity TV and I saw him today at the Council on Foreign Relations. After some dicey years as a Russian “oligarch”...5 comments / Read More »
Sept 29, 2014 - Last week (Sept. 22), I went to a Metropolitan Museum of Art event about a new exhibit, Assyria to Iberia at the Dawn of the Classical Age. It included a talk by...
UPI (Womens eNews), March 29, 2013 - Betty Friedan's parting words: "We didn't challenge the system enough." She helped start the women's revolution but came to realize--along with many of us--that the problem everyone faced...No comment / Read More »
100Reporters, March 19, 2012 - One could be forgiven for thinking that the New York State Legislature was a criminal enterprise. It had its mafioso style assemblyman, Democrat Tony Seminerio, telling a prospective “client” that...No comment / Read More »
100Reporters, Jan 19, 2012 -- Mitt Romney, who makes his hands-on business experience a talking point in his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination, was a member of the board of directors and audit committee...2 comments / Read More »
The New York Times, Dec 3, 2011 - An increasingly cozy alliance between companies that manufacture processed foods and companies that serve the meals is making students — a captive market — fat and sick...